Continuing the 200 year tradition of community giving

The Robbins and Fox Libraries are a modern day commons: a place where people can come together to learn, to meet, and to have affordable access to a wide variety of materials and services. Private donors have funded many of the materials and services enjoyed by library visitors since 1807.

In 1835, a bequest of $100 by Dr. Ebenezer Learned led to the establishment of the children’s library in Arlington (then known as West Cambridge): the first continuously operating children’s library in the United States.

In 2013, the Library Trustees, in response to legislative changes, established the Arlington Libraries Foundation to continue the long tradition of supporting this important resource in our community.